Well, as we know, books are those things made of paper with words and/or/maybe pictures in them. I looked it up in the dictionary, so I'm pretty sure I'm right.
But if we're going real left field with our definitions as to what constitutes reality and real books, then books only exist in our heads. A book is merely a collection of ideas and information (in the shape of pictures and letters) that takes the brain's interaction to truly exist. Much like films are a collection of still pictures that move about really quickly, it takes the brain to make them "move" and have meaning.
So yes. Real books are just ideas and information. So a book can exist on the internet, on a wall or even on paper. I once read a story about a book written in braille and its pages were tattooed blind people. Take a moment for that thought to sink in. Disturbing, isn't it?
Anyway, being a long time fan of the comic medium (and having to defend my hobby countless times), it's safe to say that I have few, if any prejudices concerning the medium. I starting reading them for the art, got bored of the stuff they were churning out and stumbled on books with solid STORIES instead. And it's great because the stories are generally faster to get through than having to wade through than normal books, but has enough fodder for the imagination to latch onto (where in watching movies I become a consumer and only a consumer. Comics allow a little bit more of self interpretation, giving a nice middle ground).
Nowadays, I'm happy to report that comics have reached a point where both art and writing have become important in the storytelling process (the dark knight returns hurt my eyes. It just wasn't pretty enough).
Okay, this post is getting waaay too long. That's all I think is fit to comment about for now.
[H11]∎ Read Guía Completa Para Marcas En Pinterest descubra cómo usar esta
novedosa red soc Spanish Edition Gabriela Taylor 9781477563946 Books
-
Guía Completa Para Marcas En Pinterest descubra cómo usar esta novedosa red
soc Spanish Edition Gabriela Taylor 9781477563946 Books
Download As PDF : Guía ...
7 years ago
2 comments:
Given your line of reasoning, Does this make sense.......?
Movies = little to no imagination required, Comics = some imagination required, Books = lots of imagiantion required.
I dont think anyone really questions (in this class anyway)if comics are real books or art, the real question that we are leading up to, and I'm looking forward to this is.... "are comics literature?" PS Ever see THE WALL?
I'm not demeaning the medium of movies. That's not my intention in the slightest. I'm merely pointing out the amount of interaction required of each medium and the amount of personal inflection added to the experience by the viewer/reader.
In the case of movies, although there is a lot of imagination involved in the undertaking, the viewer is mostly just a consumer.
But that is neither here nor there. Regarding the question of literature, it really depends on how you define literature. If the qualifications for literature is solely that it makes a statement about the world around us, then yes, comics can be literature. It just depends on which comic you're addressing or referring to. Just like any book.
Post a Comment