Multimodality, multiliteracy, multisemiotics, multitasking, and multigrain. Our society is growing so that single anything is just not good enough. I'll come back to that thought in a moment.
I think pretty much everybody has commented on what multimodality is (the way a person absorbs information using all their senses), so it seems pointless to comment on the definition once again.
I'd rather comment on why it is only natural to embrace all the multi-ness in this day and age. In a word: the internet. That's why it's natural. As I said in my first line, single anythings are not really en vogue these days especially in cyber space. Learning about anything in cyberspace takes multimodality to its natural extreme. Take the death of Anna Nichole Smith: many people learned of it through the internet, updated by the minute with links leading to more links. There was no facet of her life that wasn't catalogued in some shape or form: her drunken videos, her autopsy video (yes, that was out there too), her biography, and all the sordid details of her final years. Any user can be easily saturated with information, and this is true of any subject (provided you search hard enough).
I think that the more we use new telecommunication technologies the more pertinent multisemiotics and the rest of the multis begin to become to us. It's a brave new world, and we're inevitably going to see a new way of learning about the world around us.
This, of course, will somehow end up with us being enslaved by robot masters. James Cameron knows what he's talking about, people!
[H11]∎ Read Guía Completa Para Marcas En Pinterest descubra cómo usar esta
novedosa red soc Spanish Edition Gabriela Taylor 9781477563946 Books
-
Guía Completa Para Marcas En Pinterest descubra cómo usar esta novedosa red
soc Spanish Edition Gabriela Taylor 9781477563946 Books
Download As PDF : Guía ...
7 years ago
3 comments:
Oh, and i didn't read the instructions carefully, but since McCloud uses comics to explain his points, he uses all five of the modes of multimodal literacy. The images take care of visual, spatial and gestural aspects of literacy (as our eyes follow lines to give the illusion of gestures and movement), while the text bubbles provide information in the linguistic and audio modes of literacy (we convert the letters into words in our head and recognize the linguistic nature of the words on the page). So yes, all five aspects. Of course, this sort of thing is normal if you're reading comics.
I don't want to be enslaved by robot masters. Please don't let it happen. Thanks.
Sorry, Emily, but I think it's inevitable. Watch any movie and you'd arrive at the same conclusion. The Matrix, the Terminator movies...it's all the same thing!
Well, either that or we'd get taken over by Aliens. Or be destroyed by a meteorite...
I mean, a robot takeover isn't so bad compared to those.
Post a Comment