Friday, September 12, 2008

Addendum to the real books post

Addendum (this bit was posted after I thought about the question a bit more): I think i went too far left field in my interpretation of the question. I think I still have a valid point though. Anyway, graphic novels and comics are as much "real" books as anything else. All things being equal, they still present ideas, observations and commentary on the world around us. To dismiss a whole medium as being "unreal" or "less serious" because of biases is idiotic and, sadly, rather expected. I chalk it up to Disney and the Disney-fication of the illustrated art.

Cartoons and comics = kiddy fodder.

The japanese don't seem to have this sort of hang up. Watch "Grave of the Fireflies" and tell me that that cartoon didn't have something relevant to say about World War II (and tell me that you didn't cry. I'd call you a liar or a robot. A robot, sir! Unfeeling and cold!).

Okay, enough ranting for tonight. I tend to get carried away when we talk about stuff I enjoy.

'Til next time!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Loved _Grave of the Fireflies_. I guess I am not a robot! :D And yes, I find it interesting that Japanese culture is so vastly different than our own when it comes to visual texts. Fascinating and puzzling.